I know from experience that a home with a well kept appearance will sell faster than its less-polished neighbor. Buyers feel more comfortable purchasing a well-cared for home and assume that if what they can see is maintained, so are the things they can’t readily see. Before you put your home on the market, there are many things you can do to distinguish your house among the competitors:
- Keep the lawn edged, cut and regularly watered.
- Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune overgrown trees.
- Check the foundation, steps, walkways, walls, and patios for cracks and crumbling.
- Inspect doors and windows for peeling paint.
- Clean gutters.
- Repair or replace loose or damaged roof shingles.
- Repair and repaint loose siding or caulking.
- Keep your garage door closed.
- Apply a coat of fresh paint to the front door.
- Clean windows and screens.
- Add house numbers to make your house easy to locate.
Get Rid of Clutter
- Get rid of anything you don’t need or use, or store it off-site
- Eliminate unpleasant odors
- Shampoo your carpet
- Bathe your pet
- Dry Clean Drapery
- Keep all trash cans, especially in the kitchen, empty
- Add pleasant aromas with fresh flowers
Keep it tidy
- Clean all your lighting fixtures
- Organize cabinets and closets.
- Clean window blinds, shades, and shutters.
- If you don’t have time for housecleaning, hire a professional cleaning service for weekly cleaning.
- Repair leaky faucets.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs.
- Repair broken window screens.
- Repair inoperable appliances.
When it’s show time
- Make sure your home is well-lit inside and out, both at night and during the day.
- Secure pets or take them to a neighbor.
- Set the dining room table with your best dishes.
- Put light classical or instrumental music on the stereo.
- You may want to leave while your home is being shown so that buyers will feel more comfortable to move around and discuss your property with the real estate professional.
I am ready and waiting to assist you with marketing your home. My goal is to get you the best price possible in the shortest time on the market.